There are numerous examples to people donating huge amounts to temples and they do the following -
- Display the temple wealth - gold dome, other things
- Eat it up - The pandas/priests running the place eat up all the money and the worship place continues a mess.
- Display+charity - Little charity, some construction and that's about it.
Why do people donate-
- Can one actually bribe god?
- Do we consider ourselves that great to give god donation?
- Create a better worshiping area. Spread the gods message and word.
- Have the temple authorities use the money for common good.
What should we do if we want to do charity -
- Feed the poor/needy.
- Cloth the poor/needy.
- Educate the poor/needy.
- Give medicines to poor/needy.
What happens if we do the right charity -
- Avoid corruption in religious places.
- The overall frustration and pains in the society goes down.
My thoughts and open to debate and expand..