Different Perspective: 25 Unwritten Rules of Management
I blogged about this more than 2 years back and maybe read this as the same time, however with time I have only seen the relevance grow of this list. This list now is pinned on each and every of my team members desk. See the rules
The rules are simple, but little harder to understand, and very hard to practise and make it a habit. Lot of issues can be avoided by these simple rules. I have seen many people failing by not following these simple rules. Or people who are just stuck where they are, and not moving ahead...
A lot is written, read, trained in management, but that is nicely summed up in these points.
My fav in the list are -
2. It is easier to get into something than it is to get out of it.
15. Be extremely careful of the accuracy of your statements.
17. Promises, schedules, and estimates are important instruments in a well-ordered business.
* You must make promises. Don’t lean on the often-used phrase, “I can’t estimate it because it depends upon many uncertain factors.”
25. Have fun at what you do. It will reflect in your work. No one likes a grump except another grump.