Tuesday, December 16, 2008
With college I got partially independent, but engineering colleges aint that much different from schools. Teachers blackmailing you for practical marks, and lab asses trying to act smart.
Finished education, started job and then actually began to enjoy things, learning what you want, no exams to judge you (well appraisals are generally for ass lickers or perception, so never cared)..
NOW WHY AM I SAYING ALL THIS?????
My kid is now 3+ and has to start nursery.. So now again i have to follow schools rules. Every school takes a good amount in the name of prospectus and processing.. Now when the economy is bad every penny hurts.. Moreover, seems like seats are 2 few and children too many.. Every school has their own form with same fields, and some give it online, some make you stand in lines for buying forms, others make you stand in lines for submitting them. Moreover all have different documentation requirements, and most of the school admission forms to be filled from are from 15-31 dec.
Some forms ask me to tell out 3 negative qualities in a 3 year old child---IMAGINE...
Others ask me--What does education mean to me-
My answer- Getting a degree and then a job to earn a living....WAT ELSE??
Its part funny and part frustrating, but i think i need to blog more on this.... :-)
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
It is the marriage season that's going on right now. For the benefit of international readers, in India for Hindus, the priests decide the auspicious marriage dates, these dates are few and generally lie together. With a big population like ours, the marriages tend to happen at the same time.
3 marriage almost in a row---my Bro in law, college roomie, and first cousin...
One of the hardest things now is -
- travelling in clogged roads to reach function place.
- Breaking ur head to figure out the gift.
- Eating similar food.\
- Figuring out dresses to wear for u and those around u.
To top it all a major release tied for this friday the 12th....May god bless me :-)
Friday, November 14, 2008
Infact all my friends/family has stayed clear of the layoffs except one friend whose mail came in yesterday..I hope things get better soon.
The stocks are also down, and lots of my money is stuck owing to recent job changes. Then something or the else stupid stuff keeps happening. I have a policy with Max new york life insurance and i enrolled for ECS for payment of policy money, they don't raise the ECS request and then send me a letter for policy lapse. So for all concerned, max is a total NO NO for insurance. V V unprofessional.
Sunday, October 26, 2008
What MNS wants is to break the one India we have into many many small states. Worst is that some people of maharashtra have actually been misled by him.. Even more worst is that people with similar mindset like him in other parts of india have also been encouraged.
I was wondering that why is congress government (which is at both center and state) not doing anything about this, and then heard someone in a TV show say that, well Congress gets to divide the Shiv sena votes by working along with MNS, so both MNS and congress is gaining from the stupidity that is going on.. RAJ thackery has now become a nationally known politician, and we all know know that there is party of goons called as MNS. Shiv sena again cant complain about all this as they had been the ones doing this in the past to gain votes, and they fear to alienate thier present supporters, as the party stands on same idiols like MNS....
Blogging might help, but i think all media and eveybody has criticised whats happening there..but as both MNS and Congress are gaining nothing is happening...Judiciary can/might step in but that may do more damage to the present state of judiciary -->Executive relationship.
This is a battle which all the maharashtrains will have to fight and prove an example by making MNS as no entity in the elections.
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
General insurance is now not that simple, where you could get it from any vendor and get the same price and service. Now there are many vendors and the premium quoted by them differs a lot. I was surprised to see premium quotes at http://www.policybazaar.com .. ICICI lombard and royal sundaram are both offering a good premium, however my workshop people are not comfortable with any of them, so i shall go with reliance insurance, with whom i had insurance also last year.... They are offering a decent amount.. However i would strongly now suggest people to compare rates before buying any insurance
Kyun (Why)? is the favorite and often used phrase by my almost 3 yr old Daughter. It sometimes catches me by real surprise and I get dumbstruck. Sometimes its fun trying to answer the list of KYUN.. She makes a real concerned face when she says KYUN, and you are unable to decide if she is serious or joking...How to exactly respond...Guess this is a time which comes in the growing up of every child when he/she questions everything,,,,Probably another milestone in the journey of life..
Monday, October 13, 2008
It was fun to see Neitya and other kids enjoying the show, and i wish it gets passed on to generations after that also,,,,
Sunday, October 05, 2008
My fav question now a days to any person who has interest in stocks market is that---Where is the market headed..?? These are few answers--
- Markets will bounce back in first Quarter 2009.
- Coming months are bad.
- Stay away from market for now.
But I have now seen that Indian market is famed for going against what all think...The Indian market has not fallen real bad even after all the US banks collapse. However if the SENSEX comes down to 10-11k, then it would be a bad time..The sensex would reach 2-3 yrs low.
Personally where the markets are headed should not affect a long term investor, the Indian economy is headed the right way, so if you keep on investing regularly, then in probably the next 4-5 yrs one should be able to make some a return which exceeds the current rate of return in fixed deposit.. The best part (lure) with stocks is that the income is not taxable..(income on investments more than 1+ yrs old)
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
I resigned from my last company on 27th of that month after spending more than 5 years with them. The HR in our meeting points it out to me that as a PROCESS my salary for that month will be blocked. When I threatened to leave without giving a KT, then they released the salary.. This was after considering the fact that my final settlement was around 3 times my monthly salary.. (considering gratuity, 27 days salary for next month and reimbursements)....It felt very sad that company treats you in this way after you have given them more than 5 years. This was a culmination of 2 facts, processes over riding people, and ignorant/insensitive HR.
Most of the people told me that i was stupid to resign on 27th, should have waited till first. I did that because i wanted to serve maximum notice period and also once you have made up your mind to exit, it is best for all that you move out at earliest possible date.
Now just after 4 months with my present company i shall be making the move again. and this time I get my salary on time, and yes it makes me feel goood... In future again I would love to work with this company and its people. Probably the processes here are not that much set, or probably they check with persons manager and others for persons credibility before making such a decision.
I still wonder why does process need to override people? Process is always to facilitate and guide, its not words written in stone...Its not the final word....Everything needs to evolve and improve,,else it perishes, so its required to listen to people and improve process, rather than to lay processes on people. Or hiding behind process when doing something that is wrong...I strongly believe one does not need to be told what wrong and what's right, you just need to listen to your inner voice. Once can always lie to someone else, but lying to yourself is very hard. However in present days more and more people have killed their self, or stopped listening to it...
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Thursday, September 18, 2008
I recently moved my portfolio of shares to http://www.moneycontrol.com from http://money.rediff.com. Rediff is good and simple, however as my knowledge of things improved, i needed more slicing on my data, and thus moved my portfolio. But now seems the hunger as grown even more and I don't know what to do... I have come to now quite understand some of the terms like EPS, P/E etc and therefore want to compare my stocks on them. Indian stock market is at decent buying level presently, soo i thought of picking the few i might want to invest in.
Here is what i am looking for---Top 100 stocks in terms of net profit like we get here but i also want more colums having data like P/E, 52 week high/low. Any idea where i can get it?
Also now the portfolio statistics for reliance money have started working and now i can atleast see how i have been losing money since the time i started :-) he he he..
Sunday, September 14, 2008
the above post lead me to http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/TwoStories.html
And then i thought of penning down my own instances...
- Manager X from client side raises a big hackle of finding 400+ issues in the production released application.. He emails everybody to everybody in the outsourced partner working for him about this...Now management at partners side comes into picture, questioning the competency of the working team and how come so many issues were there. Fortunately the issues were trivial and the issue analysis was done and team told that there was 1 valid issue in the entire list. However, most of the management at client's or partners end was not convinced, most did not know the application, or bothered to open the defect analysis sheet, or attempt to understand the application. Now a big meeting is called of all management to analyze the situation and understand whats wrong and who to blame for fault..(Remember there was just one small valid issue in the big list)....Now we had a process audit and the management at partners end made a presentation that it was all teams and process fault and we would work to improve...And finally team is left demoralized..But who cared,,,ALL the management team made their point..Management team at clients end was able to show it was smart,,,,Management team at outsourced partner showed that it can keep client happy..Who cares about team??? Well iteration in IT stands at 24%, so why should anybody leaving organization bother anybody? SO Middle managers are needed to prove team is dumb and they can handle issues where none exists.......
- My manager tells me client manager is not happy with my work. I ask exact reason--he does not know,,,i ask for group meeting--well managers do meetings, not worker...I got totally confused on what to do, and then just sent IM to client manager asking for the problem, he had a small query, which i answered and that was it...So middle managers are needed to create confusion...
- One of the most remembered instance is where my Sr. managers complains to me that I have a very high benchmark of work, and that troubles others...SO he was totally fine with others not wanting to increase benchmark,,but wanted me to lower mine..Obviously i used both ears while listening to this :-)
- My managers complains of bad quality, and when i ask for data, he points to 1 slipped bug...and then goes on to say....we want bug free applications (i wonder if any exist in this world),,and there is some more lecture on working better etc etc,,and following more processes (Processes are the magic pill for all ill) and etc etc....So middle managers are sometimes needed to talk junk..
Friday, September 12, 2008
My next vehicle in most probability might be electric. In the city jams and traffic and with rising fuel cost, the electrics make a lot of sense. I would love to save money and do something for environment at the same time, the cost wud be a slightly slower commute..not much of a pain for small journeys.
One of the hurdles that remain is the high cost of batteries and the limited life of batteries, i hope some improvements come on that side also.
Tuesday, September 09, 2008
I am impressed with automatic cars, and surely suggest it to anybody thinking of buying a good small easy car for Delhi traffic.
Friday, September 05, 2008
Times of India, leading national daily does not feel anything wrong with stealing content,,,,read more at http://blog.twilightfairy.in/2008/09/01/toi-believes-flickr-is-for-flicking/
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
I always find reading these rules worthy, loads of things are communicated in these 25 rules. If you follow them, life becomes easy for all.. But frankly i found very few ppl who actually understood the depth in these rules...Y?????
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Monday, August 11, 2008
Thursday, August 07, 2008
- Inexperienced managers.
- Lack of responsibility in team.
- old bossy mindset of managers.
- Afraid to get client approval.
- unrealistic security concerns.
Friday, July 25, 2008
On a side note, Almost banged and drove over a cyclist on NH8, when he rashly decided to cross the road in the middle of nowhere with no indication. Luckily, nobody banged me from back on sudden braking...Today nicked a Zen when on a busy crossing, trying to get my monster through traffic. Also 2-3 days ago a bus driver was driving rashly, i stopped him with much effort and luckily found traffic cops just ahead, got his challan done
Sunday, July 06, 2008
Monday, June 23, 2008
Friday, June 13, 2008
- Driving to Rohtang from Delhi, not even knowing where the hell it is, just knew the route was from Chandigarh onwards.
- Driving from Rishikesh to Joshimath simply because it was hot there and as we started moving upwards the weather and beauty kept increasing.
- Driving from Manali to Manikaran in night in a zen.
- Planning for Leh in 15 mins sitting in US and chatting with Prashant,
- Driving a car in US for the first time all alone and getting all confused.
I dream to go all across Himalayas just traveling with no specific destination or goal, just enjoying the lovely breeze and nature...shayad kabhi..........................
Friday, May 30, 2008
I have resigned from my company after working for then for more than 5 yrs. In a company which now has 1500 + people in Noida itself, i am the 8th oldest employee. The person from HR who came to talk to me about my decision could hardly understand the issues, its sad that you have to leave a company after working for them for so long, but i am convinced that this is the best decision for me and the company. I have outgrown the company's requirements.
I started investing in shares with reliance money. Decided that it is the best way for making long term investments. Given the fact that we are on internet the whole day, it should not be much of a problem. Overall this journey has been fine been able to make some money in the falling markets, in quick buy and sell. However, the cement stocks are in loss now, which i think would give returns later. Indian infra is set to grow rapidly in coming years.
June is nearing and need to get the tests done for my daughter, it would be around an year after her operation, she has been much healthier and i hope that tests confirm that all is well.
November am planning a long drive around the Jhansi, khujraho, gwalior belt, my bro in law getting married at Konch, a small town near Orai(Jhansi).
Rearranged my room majorly to make place for the baby bed, moved DVD player and set top box for TV on wall glass shelves to save space.
My bro is relocating back to Delhi, and that gives strength to our old dream of having a home gym.
Sunday, May 04, 2008
MY safaris irritating issue with the accelerator pedal is now resolved. Apparently the break sensor had to be adjusted slightly to resolve the problem. The cars now have complicated electronic management systems and everything is apparently a connected. These sensors and management software is made by Lucas an international giant. Still when you connect the latop to your safari it just shows---engine pedal stuck (as if this was not known) and nothing else. There was no hint as to what was the root cause of the problem. Another example of crappy software and engineering.
Safaris bottle which holds windshield wiper water has now started leaking, the bottle has punctured big time on its own, but the workshop guy was hard to convince to replace that under warranty(they also did not have it in the store also). Anyways now the pic has been taken and sent to head office. Another of my battle has started.
Which reminds of another issue with Airtel Delhi, when i asked them to combine my 3 numbers, they also joined in it 4 more numbers from another person in my company. Tried explaining many a times to customer care and emailed several times to all the email id's. Classic example of pathetic treatment that consumers now a days have to go through. Consumer courts are a big pain in INdia and thereore the consumers will be continued to be treated pathetically..
Friday, May 02, 2008
I have now tried ABN, HSBC, ICICI, Citibank and SBI. I would suggest Citibank and SBI., they have been most predictable and trustworthy. SBI is also slightly problematic with points redemption, but citibank has always been very forthcoming with it.
Thursday, May 01, 2008
and thought wow, this sounds like reality, an idea which can really click in the time to come. Coming to think of it, deploying an app which has 2-3 components, then configuring it on your machine and then doing installation is a long and painful step. So you have a ready made virtual machine which can be up and running in 5 mins. All pain of installation and deployment just goes away. Taking backups of VM is also a breeze and incase anything happens going back to the last point is also very easy.
Some of the points that go against it are-
- People want a unique mix. For e.g. someone like IIS and others like weblogic.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Parents not educating thier children needs to be a criminal offence, as you are ruining the future of the nation. Those found remotely to being a hinderance in mass education should be dealt in the strongest possible way.
Will our country ever have a government which is not full of uneducated people and ex goondas? When will we find it objectionable that the politicians becoming millionaires just on donations?
Saturday, April 19, 2008
Corporate blogs, social media or web 2.0 is the most interesting thing which i see right now.
And with microblogs like twitter also making a big impression, blogging has become very interesting.
Corporates blogs are a big force, but to make them work, still it does not have the wide base that is required to make it a success. V few developers actually want to blog....It really takes some consistent effort and writing to make any blog have a decent followership.
Friday, April 11, 2008
Tuesday, April 08, 2008
Sunday, April 06, 2008
Most of the people, when they hear an opinion which is opposite to theirs, go into either defensive or attacking mode, v rarely trying to even make an attempt if other person might have some valid point.
That is also the reason for my blog being called a different perspective, its for those who can understand another perspective on things, i have a very limited readership and that is totally understandable. There are many who track this blog regularly but hardly comment..Probably because most of the people who have a different perspective are either crushed or make to look wrong. So those who have a different perspective don't speak up,,specially in a country like ours.. Some have given up, others are scared.
I hope as our society matures we have a better understanding of a different perspective and learn to respect it.
A site where you can review your employer, i like the idea. But how many people in India would actually take the pain of reviewing is yet to be seen. We are more used to taking things than giving to it, well we might have used many free/open source applications, but did we do anything to give back to it?
Additionally we are more scared people, the ghulami mentality is not fully out yet. We are Yes sir people and we like Yes sir people. When people are resigning and moving to another company, they are so scared to tell about where they are going. The usual answer is -- i have 2-3 options and am thinking,...is anybody stupid enough to believe that one has not decided the next company before throwing in the papers?
Saturday, March 22, 2008
Man i hate everybody for making me taste some lovely beers.
Then Todd took me to his home and made me drink an even awesome 11 yr old red wine, met his lovely kids stella-4months, Eva-3 and mickey -11.
My taste buds are ruined now....................
Friday, March 21, 2008
- I dont have to bother abt anti virus or antispyware.
- Synaptic is wonderful way to install/uninstall anything. I dont need to go to any website for downloading anything.
- I dont carry the guilt of using a pirated windoze.
- I get better performance from my old machine.
- Helped me to overcome my fear of linux.
Thursday, March 20, 2008
- My webcam does not work on ubuntu
- skype sound settings occasionally change from what i set.
- flickr uploaders work pathetically or dont resize, have one issue or another.
- Getting pics from my kodak camera is painfully slow.
- K3b is good for CD burning, but still not there-recently i copied .dat files off a VCD and thought using k3b would again be able to make the VCD from it, something i had done in Nero before. It did not work with K3b and then tried some more CD burnign programs for linux, but they were worst that K3b.
- PLaying online music from sites like musicindiaonline or raaga is crappy, but shoutcast radio on VLC works, so that provides an alternative.
- Exchange support in Eudora is crappy.
- Yahoo messenger provides an ages old client for Linux, it should try and give a latest version. Pidgin is an alternative, still i think Yahoo can come out with a richer messenger for Linux.
- Opera works lovely fast on ubuntu, but many sites jut wont work on it or would look v crappy on it.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
I took a wrong turn on way back and got lost for goood. Went back and forth and all arounf, Tried calling 2 people i know here and both did not pickup the phone. Stopped at a store enroute and asked for directions, the guy was new. Now i thought, i might have chewn more than i can digest.
So back to basics, come back to the Highway u know and again try to retrace the map...problem, u have already exceeded it and 40 E, it to be 40 west now. Anyways went the opposite way on main highway and went round and round, i think for a 6 mile trip i travelled 50 miles. Scared the shit of ppl following me with turned on wierd indicators and off lane driving while reading maps. To top it all, a Big automatic pontiac to drive. And loads of rain making it a problem to drive and read boards....
In the end, found my groove luckily and reached hotel fine. Nice adventure though..Bahut mazaa aaya,,,
St patricks day is for beer drinking and having fun, and i think he was irish,, People feel free to google/wikipedia..
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Thursday, March 13, 2008
I am right,,,thank you all :-)
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Also bought some toys for Neitya at a consignment sale...
Had lovely BBQ dinner at a stakehouse, typical North carolina food. Todd drove and paid for me, and all the rest also,,,i did not know what he has ordering and had him pay, forgot in US, everybody pays for himself.......Kal se yaad rakhenge,,,
Monday, March 10, 2008
First time in propeller aircraft, from Newark to Raleigh. Nice flight and experienence. Except when going to board this flight via he tube, he mouth of the tube was opened just before the entry, Newark it was freezing and i was wearing just a shirt, as delhi, plane and airport was heated, just crossing through into the plane was one of the coldest moments in some time...
Raleigh, got a ride in BMW 3 series of my manager who came to pickup. The car has enormous space inside, though outside it looks so small, placed one bag in boot and one on back seat (i felt bad, but no other way). Came hotel arranged stuff, and then slept, woke up at 9PM bored, went out for stroll, found a hooters, like the interesting name, then went in and had a beer with onion rings, I had went in slippers and thought ki saaaley pitega,,,but it turned out fine...
The hotel and weather is fone, but there is no food mall in walking distance, will try get a ride from someone in office today, or might take a taxi to get stuff for my 2 days. Glad i got some basic stuff like biscuits, tea and magi, so that i don't feel myself in big shit...
Tuesday, March 04, 2008
I m sure these pills would be having some side effects, but that's just hidden, and it might be doing long term damage to girls...
These advertisements come so many times continuously and so different brands it is sickening...
Monday, March 03, 2008
- Now i have someone who likes chocolates, ice creams and pastries like me.
- There is someone who plays peek a boo.
- someone who is so so happy to see me home.
- She likes to make me eat with spoon like i do sometimes with her.
- She also likes to tease me and eat food herself
- I can sing poems again, now i know many of them.
- Feeding the street dog bones/milk has become a family activity.
- Sleeping with your child cuddling besides you is heavenly.
- The smile on your childs face on seeing you is above all..
- more to come.......
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
On a bigger level, could/should internet be regulated? Regulation is never a long term solution, it leads to corruption, tension and other problems.
Seeing some part of video here is what came out, Barkha has very limited knowledge about blogs and features available. If i go for blogs which have lots of sexual material, the number would be very small, however her interest was there only..I think INdia is the Land of the kamasutra but 2 scared to admit sex as a reality and talk about it...
Barkha i think will manage to get lot of publicity by this and lot of popularity (badnaami hui to kiya hua, naam to hua), in this present age where there are dozens of news channels with even more talk shows and news in which people are not interested, if you can catch peoples attention its a good feat.
I could not manage to see whole video, but the talk debate is so pointless and toothless probably i wont waste more time on it also..
here is another opinion on this show
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Only lalit has posted his pics, i did not take my cam and waiting for more people.
Probably the last minute confusion because of the other Bloggers group that has recently formed helped to increase the interest in this meet for all the members of this group. Propelled everybody to come out more openly. Larger number of people makes for some interesting interactions and this meet turned out to be a much better experience than the previous ones. Probably booze and music also helps :-)
A video was also being made and i waiting for it. Many people did not know about my bribe blog and i think it made people realise that blogs can be a medium of change, to raise social awareness and not just a webpage with random rants and views.
Rupali and Sanjay made the event success, rupali with her management and Sanjay with the cake and his ever present smile. And the rest with whom it was a pleasure meeting :-)
Met a person working for ibibo, i called it desi orkut/facebook and the expression/reaction was interesting :-)
I am looking forward to when we meet next...
Monday, January 14, 2008
- 2 wheelers provide better average and are cheaper to maintain..So all 2 wheeler people wont shift. Those who buy premium bikes, buy for fun, not because of economy.
- And car under 1 lack was available (though second hand) and the EMI culture made also the car with 3-3.5 lack bracket affordable..
Friday, January 11, 2008
- How is calling someone a monkey a racist comment?
- Why is it easier to find reasons to not do a thing, than to do it?
Thursday, January 10, 2008
Earlier it was the match fixing scandal which made me realise how big a fool i am in believing in the matches and the game,,,and now it plain pure cheating...and even worse being defiant about it..
Monday, January 07, 2008
WHO IS THIS???
Friday, January 04, 2008
- Can there be a win win situation when one person considers his win only at others loss?
- Should one work for someone or have a worker when there is no faith?
- is it possible to have another Gandhi? To be able to give another cheek when u r slapped on one?
- Why is it so hard to agree to disagree?